Another drone attack took place in the Russian capital, Moscow, during the night of August 22nd-23rd. Mayor of Moscow, Sergei Sobyanin, confirmed the incident on Telegram. One of the drones targeted the Moscow-City business centre, while the other was shot down by an air defence system in the Mozhaisk district of Moscow Oblast.
No casualties were reported, and emergency services were dispatched to the scene. Videos shared on Russian Telegram channels captured the moment of the explosion, which caused significant damage to the building under construction in the Moscow-City business centre.
Reports indicate that storeys 10 to 15 of the attacked building sustained damages. Currently, Russian emergency services are conducting inspections of the tower located between the Mercury store and the Expocentre, a Russian exhibition company.
This is not the first time drones have targeted the Moscow-City business centre. Similar attacks occurred on the nights of July 29th-30th, July 31st-August 1st, and August 17th-18th. The motives behind these attacks remain unknown, and investigations are ongoing.
Source: Sergei Sobyanin, Mayor of Moscow, on Telegram; Russian Telegram channels
– Drone: An unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) operated remotely or autonomously, often used for various purposes including surveillance, delivery, and military operations.
– Moscow-City Business Centre: A commercial complex in Moscow, comprising several high-rise buildings that house offices, hotels, and other business facilities.
– Moscow Oblast: An administrative region surrounding Moscow, Russia’s capital city.
– Telegram: A cloud-based instant messaging service.
– Emergency Services: Organized structures responsible for providing immediate assistance in emergency situations, such as fires, accidents, and natural disasters.
– Russian Telegram Channels: Online communication platforms within the Telegram app, where users can share messages, videos, and other content with the public or specific interest groups.
– Storeys: Floors or levels in a building.
– Mercury Store: A retail store located in the Moscow-City business centre.
– Expocentre: A major exhibition center in Moscow, hosting various trade fairs and events.
Sergei Sobyanin, Mayor of Moscow, on Telegram
Russian Telegram channels